Friday, March 18, 2011

DealStartsHere: The Apple iPad 2 and Other Tablet PCs

So recently I've been reading up on Tablet PC's and the iPad 2. I actually went to a Fry's and an Apple Store to try one for myself. Man was I blown away! The technology in today's tablet PC's are amazing. I almost considered selling my Droid X and downgrading to a clamshell phone, just so I can buy a Tablet PC! But I do love my Droid X, so she'll be with me for a while.


First, I went to the Apple Store to try the iPad and was hoping they had the iPad 2! I was taken aback when I used the iPad for the first time. It was like a huge iPhone or iTouch and felt comfortable to use. I immediately familiarized myself with the User Interface and knew exactly what I was doing. Easy-of-Use and simplicity: one of Apple's products strong points. I noticed though, that the on the iPad 2, the expansion capabilities were very limited. Almost non-existent. There was no HDMI out and no SD Card expansion. As a technical kind of guy, this was a turn off. I've heard that there are adapters that could connect to the dock connector of your iPad to add a SD Card expansion or HDMI out. I believe we do sell some on our website too. You can buy an SD Card Expansion Reader HERE.  Cosmetically, the iPad 2 was sleek and look amazing, but I did account that, if purchased, I may drop the iPad 2 several times without warning. Already online stores are selling iPad 2 Cases and Covers. WE'RE EVEN SELLING CASES AND COVERS! You can purchase some HERE.


Despite the technical limitations of the iPad 2, it does sport a nice 9.7 Inch LED Multi-Touch Screen @ 1024 by 768 Pixels (132 pixels per inch). The screen also incorporates IPS Technology according to Apple. On a more internal perspective, the iPad 2 executes processes with a 1GHz Dual Core Chip, which was a custom Apple A5 Design and 512 MB of RAM. Like many processors today, Apple engineered the chip to run at peak performance while keep power consumptions at bay. Inside, the iPad 2 utilizes a Three-Axis Gyroscope, Accelerometer, and Ambient Light Sensor. Nothing we haven't seen before, but it's good to know Apple is keep up with technology! I was impressed to find that Apple finally added GPS and an HD Video Camera to the iPad. After seeing the capabilities of the iPhone and other Android Phones, I couldn't wait to see these features on a Tablet PC. The iPad 2 also incorporates a Built in 25 Watt Hour Lithium-Polymer Battery and up to 10 hours of battery life (normal usage).


Over all the iPad 2 was an impressive and fun Tablet PC to toy with. Apple's utilization of UI and Easy-of-Use make the iPad 2 a device for simple folk or Tech Savvy gearheads.


The Apple iPad 2


After playing around with the iPad 2, I decided to check out a few more, non Apple related, Tablet PCs. 
I found the Samsung Galaxy Tab, specifically the P1000, to be just as user friendly as the iPad 2. The main reason I found the Galaxy Tab to be easy to use, is because it was modeled after the Samsung Galaxy Cell Phone. Since I've had a Samsung Galaxy Phone before, I felt very comfortable using the Tab. Despite having used a Galaxy like device before, I believe if you've seen or used any Android OS before, you should feel right at home.


The Galaxy Tab has been fitted with a 7 Inch WSVGA (Widescreen Super Video Graphics Array) TFT (active matrix) Screen @ 1024 x 600 Pixel Resolution. Although not as big as the 9 Inch iPad 2 screen, 7 Inches felt quite alright. There have already been talks of integrating AMOLED Technology in the up and coming Samsung Galaxy Tablets, so be sure to keep an eye out for that! On the inside, the Galaxy Tab is powered by a Cortex A8 1GHz (Hummingbird Processor) with 512MB (ROM) and 592MB (RAM), although not as fast as a dual core, it was sufficient enough that it didn't keep me waiting for pages or apps to load. Unlike the iPad 2, the Galaxy Tab is expandable via a Micro SD slot. Up to 32GB's too. Unfortunately, the Galaxy Tab is fitted with a measly 3 MP Camera with Auto Focus on the backside and a 1.3 MP Camera on the front, which allows video conferencing capabilities. As far as battery life goes, the Galaxy Tab, also, is capable of 10 hours of normal usage, and an impressive 7 hours if watching High Definition videos.


Cosmetically the Galaxy Tab doesn't look as sleek as the iPad 2, but felt extremely comfortable and light in my hands. It was handheld, not "handsheld." I would be afraid to drop this Tablet PC too or any Tablet PC for that matter so I looked into the Covers and Cases they sell and compared them with our CASES and COVERS.


Overall the Samsung Galaxy Tab, isn't up to par with the iPad 2, but it gets the job done for an average consumer.. I am aware that I am comparing two different types of technology, within two different time frames. It's just nice to see how rapidly  technology is advancing. Already, several years after the release of a consumer Handheld Tablet PC, advancements are being and have been made, further propelling us to the future.


The Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000



No comments:

Post a Comment